This day in Mohawk Valley history: April 26, 1928
The Cobleskill Index, April 26, 1928, Cobleskill, Schoharie County, New York
Hartwick College Plans For Opening This Fall
Trustees Approve Holding Sessions In Temporary Quarters
Oneonta, April 20.–Hartwick college will open in Oneonta this fall, according to a decision made yesterday afternoon at a meeting of the board of trustees in the First Lutheran church, Albany, when the trustees approved the proposal by Dr. Charles R. Myers, president.
Pending completion of new buildings, temporary quarters will be obtained in a business block, or a large private residence. It is hoped that the first building of the group will be completed this year, in time for use in the fall of 1929. The executive committee will have charge of designation of temporary quarters.
Plans for an improved highway leading from West street to the center of the campus and in front of the first building to be erected, were presented to the trustees and it was voted to have an engineer stake out the road and have bids submitted with the grounds committee authorized on act.
It is planned to break ground in time for the commencement of Hartwick Seminary, June 26, and it is hoped to have the new road completed by this time.
The recommendation of the executive committee of the trustees that a joint committee be appointed from the boards of the college and seminary to establish a permanent relation of the two boards, with the possible creation of a Hartwick foundation under the supervision of the educational department of the New York Synod of the United Luteran church, was approved.
By a unanimous vote the trustees extended a call to Dr. O. M. Morile of the Lutheran college, Iowa, to become dean of Hartwick college and to assume his new work in July, under the general supervision of the president. He will have charge of the curriculum, the administration of internal affairs and the faculty.
Bresee Hall is a historic institutional building located on the campus of Hartwick College at Oneonta in Otsego County, New York. It was designed by architect John Russell Pope and built in 1928. It is a rectangular, three story brick building with a symmetrical thirteen bay facade. The east facade features a projecting, pedimented three bay pavilion. The formal entrance is located at the center of the pavilion and consists of a porticocomposed of flanking pilasters and columns with composite capitals, a broad entablature and a segmental pediment. The building is topped by a hipped roof with a two-stage octagonal wooden cupola topped by a weather vane. The building has Colonial Revival style detailing.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2004. – Wikipedia