This day in history: December 19, 1888
A New Knitting Mill
It is now definitely settled that Herkimer is to have another knitting mill. Mr. James Evans who has been foreman in the Mr. Mark’s mill for some time, has formed a co-partnership with Messrs. Deimel & Snell for that purpose. The mill will be located in the brick building of the Herkimer Manufacturing Company, and a fine class of ladies underwear, both silk and wool, will be manufactured. Success to the new enterprise.
MORRIS MARK and the MARK MILL
In 1871, Morris Mark, together with Michael Elias, erected a large brick factory on E. Albany Street known as the Mark Mfg. Bldg., manufacturer of knit goods. The large property encompassed the land from the north side of Albany Street to the west side of the Hydraulic Canal. Mr. Elias retired and Morris operated the factory himself for several years.
Eventually, after several other businesses operated in it, the Mark Mill was torn down and the land it was on sat empty for many years. The surrounding lots have since been rehabilitated into modern medical franchises. One complex is Little Falls Hospital Primary Care and the other is Faxton Regional Cancer Center.
At the time of Mr. Mark’s death he was one of the wealthiest men in Herkimer. His mansion stood empty for many years and deteriorated to such a point that it was torn down in the same fashion as other prominent area landmarks. The Temple Beth Joseph complex is located where this mansion once stood.