As part of the 3rd Annual Third Thursday Winter Lecture Series, Mary Liz and Paul Stewart of the Underground Railroad Education Center in Albany, NY will discuss Harriet and Stephen Myers.
The Myers were black abolitionists, whose residence was a headquarters for Underground Railroad activity in the Capital Region in the mid 1850’s. They serve as a lasting-legacy for social justice and reform. Their home is now a museum and community place of gathering that serves as a reckoning space with the past, and also inspires future generations. Free and open to the public.
No registration required. WebEx free web meeting platform, link goes live at 6:50pm. Virtual via WebEx.
About the Schoharie Crossing State Historic Site
Schoharie Crossing State Historic Site is dedicated to the preservation and interpretation of the Erie Canal as one of the 19th century’s greatest commercial and engineering projects. The Visitor Center exhibit traces the history of the Erie Canal and its impact on the growth of New York State and the nation.
Within the site’s boundaries are many structures dating from the three eras of the canal’s development. At the eastern end of the site is the Putnam Lock Stand at Yankee Hill that houses an exhibit on Erie Canal stores. The site’s largest structure is the remains of the Schoharie Aqueduct, which carried the water of the Enlarged Erie Canal over the Schoharie Creek.
Schoharie Crossing is also the location of 18th century Fort Hunter and the Lower Castle Mohawk village. See artifacts from that portion of our history on display at the Visitor Center.